A World For Children (AWFC) is a Christian, state-licensed, non-profit, Wichita Falls foster care and adoption agency that provides children and families the support they need during the entire foster-to-adopt process. A World For Children is dedicated to providing vulnerable children in Wichita Falls with loving and caring environments and resources.
It is our mission as a foster care agency in Wichita Falls, TX to serve at-risk children and families through our high-quality services focusing on prevention, support, assessment, therapeutic intervention, and permanency. A World For Children is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization that works with over 1,000 children each year to provide the lives these children deserve.
Foster Care in Wichita Falls
Being a foster parent in Texas is a highly rewarding experience for many reasons. One of the biggest reasons is that you are giving a child in need a safe place to call home. With A World For Children, becoming a foster parent doesn’t need to be daunting or stressful. We will walk you through the foster care Wichita Falls process and support you every step of the way. For your reference, we’ve briefly broken down the process below.
- Review qualifications. Texas has its own set of requirements for those seeking to become foster parents. The first step of the process is to review these qualifications to ensure you’re eligible to be a foster parent. Keep in mind that foster care agencies in Wichita Falls like AWFC may have their own additional requirements.
- Submit an application. Next, you will need to submit an application to become a foster parent. You must choose an agency you’d like to work with and fill out the required paperwork.
- Undergo a background check. The foster care agency in Wichita Falls that you choose will then need to run a background check on you. This ensures that you are fit to take care of a child.
- Attend an orientation. After passing a background check, you will attend an orientation for the foster care agency you chose. Depending on the agency, this could be in person or online. At orientation, you will learn more about the foster care process and get your questions answered.
- Complete training. Next, you will need to complete a training course. The training includes CPR and first aid, in addition to any other courses in place by the agency. This will help prepare you to care for a child.
- Pass a home inspection. Lastly, you must pass a home inspection to become a foster parent in Texas. A foster care agency representative will come to your home to evaluate whether it is an appropriate place for a child to live. Once you’ve passed this inspection, you will sit back and wait for a placement.
When you’re ready to submit your application, contact us or visit our Wichita Falls foster care agency!
Adoption in Wichita Falls
If you are interested in adopting a child, there are two ways to complete the process. You can either choose to foster-to-adopt or go directly through the adoption process. This is your decision, but once you decide, you will want to find a foster-to-adopt agency or an adoption agency in Wichita Falls. Below, we’ve outlined the steps to the process.
- Review qualifications. Just like becoming a foster parent, you must meet Texas’ adoption requirements before starting the process. Additionally, you will need to meet any requirements the adoption agency you choose has.
- Submit an application. After ensuring that you meet the requirements of the state and your specific adoption agency, it’s time to fill out the application for review.
- Undergo a background check. After the application is received, the agency will run a background check on you. Again, this is to make sure that you are a good fit for the role of a parent. If you are approved, an adoption specialist will reach out to you with more information.
- Meet with a specialist. Next, you will meet with an adoption specialist to discuss the rest of the process further. Likely you will have multiple appointments with this person to have your questions answered and to walk through the next steps.
- Pass a home inspection. Next, a home inspection is necessary. The adoption agency will send a representative to inspect your home to ensure it meets the requirements for adoptive families.
- Finalize adoption. Once your home has passed inspection, it’s time to finalize the adoption. You will work with the adoption specialist to prepare the necessary paperwork and bring your child home.
Sep 2022Refresher of Standards - Idalia-ZOOM – 09/29/2022 at 6:00 pm - 7:00 pm
Oct 2022Refresher of Standards-ZOOM – 10/01/2022 at 9:00 am - 10:00 am
Cultural Diversity - Wichita Falls – 10/03/2022 at 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm
AWFC Medicattion Policy - Brownwood – 10/04/2022 at 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm
Orientation – 10/10/2022 at 6:00 pm
Orientation (Houston-Stephanie) – 10/10/2022 at 6:00 pm - 7:00 pm
SIR/Respite - El Paso – 10/13/2022 at 6:30 pm - 8:30 pm
FPI - Barbara – 10/15/2022 at 9:00 am
Disaster Training - Webinar – 10/17/2022 at 6:00 pm
Infant-Toddler - Round Rock – 10/19/2022 at 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm
Meet the Wichita Falls Management Team
Ashley Almanza – Area Director
Ashley has known since she was a little girl that she wanted to help the hurting, abused, and those in need. She completed her social work degree in 2008 and has worked in the social work field ever since. She feels this is her calling and her passion. She believes that the work at AWFC that she does helps make a difference in the lives of the children we serve. She cherishes the work she does alongside foster parents to help create safe and loving homes for the vulnerable in her community.
Samantha Taggert – Community Developer
When beginning her journey into adulthood, Samantha Taggart joined the military, searching for career choices. While in the military, she realized how blessed she was with my family growing up and decided she wanted to be a social worker to help others that were not as lucky as she was to have a loving family. Sam completed her degree once she got out of the military and started her adventures in the social work field. Foster care is not a job to Sam, it is her passion. Sam believes in what she does and hopes that she can find help for children and families as they reunify or help parents when they are adopting.
Wichita Falls Training Calendar