A World For Children (AWFC) is committed to San Antonio’s most vulnerable members of society. A World For Children is a non-profit, state-licensed, Christian child-placing agency that offers an array of services to children in temporary care. Our foster care San Antonio agency firmly believes in meeting the needs of the entire family through ongoing support and training given by our dedicated team. We believe that all children deserve to live in a safe and caring environment.
Our mission is to serve at-risk children and families by providing quality services focusing on prevention, support, assessment, therapeutic intervention, and permanency. As a 501(c)3 non-profit organization, AWFC works with more than 1,000 children each year to provide each one with an unmatched quality of life. The cornerstone of all services at AWFC is made of respect, dignity, and excellence. At AWFC, we provide ongoing monitoring and evaluation of agency processes to ensure the effectiveness and efficiency of our services.
Foster Care in San Antonio
Becoming a foster parent is a rewarding experience that many individuals seek. If you’re interested in taking on this responsibility, you’ll want to ensure that you understand the entire process. We’ve outlined the steps below.
- Application. The first step is to submit your application. This ensures that you meet all of the requirements for fostering, which may include employment status, criminal history, and age verification.
- Background Check. If your application is chosen, the foster care agency will contact you and ask that you complete a background check.
- Orientation. Once your background check has been approved, you’ll attend orientation. This may be done online for some agencies or completed in person. You’ll learn how the agency handles the foster care process and other pertinent information.
- Training. You’ll need to complete CPR and first-aid training in addition to orientation to ensure you can properly care for a foster child in the event of an emergency.
- Home Inspection. Before a child is placed into your care, a specialist will conduct a home inspection to verify that your space is safe.
- Placement. The final step is to wait for the call! Our specialists will contact you when a child requires a foster home.
Ready to begin your application? Contact or visit our foster care San Antonio office today!
Adopt a Child in San Antonio
Choosing adoption is another viable option that can provide a secure and stable home for children. You can choose to adopt your foster child if the situation allows or work with an adoption specialist to find a child without fostering. Either way, the process is similar.
- Application. An adoption application will require a bit more than a foster application. You may need to provide information about your employment, relationship, lifestyle, and medical history. You’ll also need to choose an adoption style (open, semi-open, or closed) to match with a birth mother that would prefer the same style.
- Background Check. You (and your partner!) will need to undergo an extensive background check. This is to ensure the safety and wellbeing of a child.
- Meet Adoption Specialist. Once your application and background check has been vetted, an adoption specialist will contact you to begin walking through the adoption process.
- Interview. An interview allows the adoption specialist (and birth mother) to get to know you a bit better. This will help ensure that you are matched with the correct family.
- Home Inspection. After your interview, a home inspection will be completed to verify the safety of your home.
- Finalize Adoption. Finally, if you are chosen, you’ll finalize the adoption. This may occur at the hospital after birth or on a set date with your adoption specialist.
Learn more about fostering to adopt at our San Antonio foster care agency or reach out to our adoption specialists at Texas Adoption Center to walk you through the adoption process.
Meet the San Antonio Management Team
Sarah Vasquez – Regional Director
Sarah Vasquez has been with A World For Children since 2011. She began as a case manager and held that position for 5 years. In 2016, she was promoted to the Regional Director of the San Antonio and Victoria areas. She graduated from The University of Texas at San Antonio in 2010 with a Bachelor’s degree in Sociology.
Sarah enjoys spending time with her husband, as they enjoy traveling and spending time near local lakes/rivers. Sarah is family-oriented and enjoys spending available time with her close family and friends. She is passionate about making a difference for the children in San Antonio foster care.
Dec 2022SIR/Respite ZOOM - El Paso – 12/08/2022 at 6:30 pm - 8:30 pm
Transportation Training ZOOM - Amanda Irby (Wichita Falls) – 12/19/2022 at 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm
Jan 2023Cultural Diversity ZOOM - Wichita Falls – 01/03/2023 at 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm
SIR/Respite ZOOM - El Paso – 01/12/2023 at 6:30 pm - 8:30 pm
Transportation Training ZOOM - Amanda Irby (Wichita Falls) – 01/30/2023 at 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm