A World For Children (AWFC) is committed to meeting the needs of El Paso’s most vulnerable members of society through our foster care and adoption programs. A World For Children is a Christian, state-licensed, non-profit, El Paso foster care agency dedicated to meeting the needs of the entire family through ongoing support and training provided by our dedicated team. We believe that all children deserve to live in a safe and caring environment, and we do all we can to ensure that happens.
We make it our mission to serve at-risk children and families by providing quality services in El Paso focused on prevention, support, assessment, therapeutic intervention, and permanency. As a 501(c)3 non-profit organization, AWFC works with over 1,000 children each year to provide every child with an unmatched quality of life.
We provide ongoing monitoring and evaluation of the El Paso foster care agency processes to ensure the effectiveness and efficiency of our services. Respect, dignity, and excellence form the cornerstone from which all services at A World For Children operate.
El Paso Foster Care
If you’re interested in becoming a foster parent in El Paso, you’ve come to the right place. A World For Children provides quality foster care services and training for those looking to become foster parents. To help you get started, we’ve broken down the steps you’ll need to take to foster a child.
- Review qualifications. The first step to becoming a foster parent is to review the requirements set by Texas. Keep in mind that some foster care agencies, such as A World For Children, may have their own additional requirements. Once you’re sure you meet these qualifications, you can move to the next step.
- Submit an application. After you’ve checked all the qualification boxes, you can begin filling out and submitting your application. You’ll need to choose which agency you’d like to go through and fill out their application for review.
- Undergo a background check. In addition to your application, the foster care agency in El Paso will need to run a background check. They’ll check for any criminal records or anything that may not make you a strong candidate for fostering.
- Attend an orientation. If your application is approved and you pass the background check, you’ll be invited to attend an orientation. This may be done online or in-person depending on your agency. You’ll learn more about the foster care process and any other relevant information you’ll need to know.
- Complete training. You’ll also need to complete training to become fully qualified for foster care. This will include CPR and first-aid training in addition to any other required courses to ensure you know how to take proper care of a child in any situation.
- Pass a home inspection. The last step before you may receive a foster child to care for is a home inspection. A foster specialist will walk through your home and verify that it is safe for a child. Once this step is completed, you’ll simply need to wait until you receive a placement.
When you’re ready to submit your application, contact us or visit our El Paso foster care agency!
El Paso Adoption
For those interested in adopting a child, there are two primary ways that you can go about that. You can choose to foster-to-adopt or go directly through the adoption process. Depending on which route you choose, you’ll want to find foster-to-adopt agencies or adoption agencies in El Paso. We’ll cover the general process for adoption below to assist you in starting the process.
- Review qualifications. Much like becoming a foster parent, there are specific adoption requirements in Texas. You may be asked to meet additional requirements with adoption, including those set by the agency you choose.
- Submit an application. Once you’ve reviewed requirements for both the state and the adoption agency in El Paso, you can move forward with submitting an application. You’ll want to have a chosen adoption agency you plan to work with so you can ensure you fulfill all the application requirements.
- Undergo a background check. After the agency has received your application, an adoption specialist will complete a background check to ensure you are a qualified candidate. If you are approved, they will reach out with further instructions.
- Meet with a specialist. Your adoption specialist is here to walk you through the entire process. They’ll likely schedule multiple meetings with you to discuss the rest of the process, conduct an interview, and ensure everything is in place.
- Pass a home inspection. Before you are able to bring a child home, you must pass a home inspection. This inspection is to ensure that your home is a safe place to bring a child.
- Finalize adoption. The last step is to finalize the adoption. This is when you’ll sign the paperwork over and prepare to bring your child home.
Jun 2022Respite and SIR – 06/14/2022 at 5:30 pm - 7:00 pm
Disaster Training - Webinar – 06/20/2022 at 6:00 pm
Transportation Training – 06/27/2022 at 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm
Jul 2022Cultural Diversity – 07/04/2022 at 6:00 pm - 7:00 pm
Disaster Training - Webinar – 07/18/2022 at 6:00 pm
Water Safety – 07/21/2022 at 6:30 pm
Transportation Training – 07/25/2022 at 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm
Aug 2022Disaster Training - Webinar – 08/15/2022 at 6:00 pm
Water Safety – 08/18/2022 at 6:30 pm
Transportation Training – 08/29/2022 at 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm
Meet the El Paso team!
Meet the El Paso Management Team
Pricilla Cuellar – Area Director
Pricilla Cuellar graduated from the University of Texas at El Paso in 2020 with a Bachelor’s Degree in Psychology and a minor in Biological Science. She graduated in the top 15th percentile of her class. Pricilla has four years of experience working with Child Protective Services supervising child visits. She began her career with AWFC as a Case Manager and has since moved on to Area Director of the El Paso office. She is passionate about helping children and always knew she wanted a career in child welfare. She is a devoted mother to two boys. During her spare time, she enjoys volunteering with her eldest son’s baseball league.
Gilbert Garcia – Treatment Director
Gilbert Garcia has been serving children and families for over 30 years. The last 11 years he has served as Treatment Director for A World For Children in Corpus Christi, El Paso, and Houston. He is passionate about making a difference in the lives of children and has a deep appreciation for those who open their hearts and homes to traumatized children. “All kids need a sense of belonging and know that someone cares; one of the greatest joys is knowing you made a difference in the life of a child. That is what we are all about.”