A World For Children (AWFC) is committed to helping Corpus Christi’s most vulnerable members of society. A World For Children is a non-profit, state-licensed, Christian child-placing agency offering an array of services to children in temporary care. Our foster care Corpus Christi agency firmly believes in meeting the needs of the entire family through the ongoing support and training given by our dedicated team. We believe that all children deserve to live in a safe and caring environment.
Our mission is to serve at-risk children and families by providing quality services focusing on prevention, support, assessment, therapeutic intervention, and permanency. As a 501(c)3 non-profit organization, AWFC works with more than 1,000 children each year to provide each one with an unmatched quality of life. The cornerstone of all services at AWFC is made of respect, dignity, and excellence. At AWFC, we provide ongoing monitoring and evaluation of agency processes to ensure the effectiveness and efficiency of our services.
Foster Care in Corpus Christi
Becoming a foster parent is a rewarding experience, but it is also a huge responsibility. If you’re interested in taking on this responsibility, the steps to the process have been outlined below to help you understand how it all works.
- Application. First, you submit your application, with the necessary proof and information (age verification, employment status, criminal check, etc.) to ensure that you meet the requirements for fostering.
- Background Check. Next, you will be contacted by the Corpus Christi foster care agency and asked to complete a background check.
- Orientation. Once your background check is approved, you’ll attend orientation. This is normally completed in person, but may be done online for some agencies. Through orientation, you’ll learn how the Corpus Christi foster care agency handles the foster care process, and what you can expect going forward.
- Training. You’ll need to complete CPR and first-aid training in addition to orientation to ensure you can properly care for a foster child in the event of an emergency.
- Home Inspection. Before a child can be placed into your care, a home inspection must be conducted to verify that your living circumstances will provide a safe, healthy environment.
- Placement. Now, the waiting begins. When a child is in need of a foster home, our specialists will contact you!
Are you ready to begin your foster care application? Contact or visit our foster care Corpus Christi office today!
Adopt a Child in Corpus Christi
Another viable option for providing a secure and stable home for children is adoption. If you’re already fostering, and the situation allows for it, you can choose to adopt your foster child. You can also work with an adoption specialist from adoption agencies in Corpus Christi to find a child without fostering. The process and requirements for adoption are similar either way.
- Application. Adoption applications are more involved than applications for those who choose to foster. You’re going to be asked to provide details about your employment and relationship status, your lifestyle, and your medical history. In order to match with a birth mother seeking the same sort of adoption, you’ll also need to choose an adoption style (open, semi-open, or closed).
- Background Check. Next, you, and your spouse/partner, will have to undergo an extensive background check to ensure the safety and well-being of any child placed in your care.
- Meet an Adoption Specialist. Once your application has been processed and your background check has been completed, an adoption specialist from the Corpus Christi adoption center will then contact you to guide you through the adoption process.
- Interview. As part of that process, the adoption specialist will interview you and your family to help them (and the birth mother) get to know you better. This is necessary to ensure that a child is placed with the right family.
- Home Inspection. Following your interview, a home inspection will be conducted, to verify the circumstances and safety of your home.
- The Adoption is Finalized. Finally, if chosen, you’ll finalize your adoption. Depending on the adoption style you’ve chosen (open, semi-open, or closed), you may meet the child at the hospital after birth, or your adoption specialist will let you know a set date.
Learn more about fostering-to-adopt at our Corpus Christi foster care agency. Alternatively, you can reach out to adoption specialists, such as the ones at Texas Adoption Center, who can walk you through the adoption process.
Apr 2023Emergency Behavior Intervention 1 (ZOOM) - Gilbert Garcia – 04/01/2023 at 9:00 am - 4:00 pm
Cultural Diversity (ZOOM) - Amarillo – 04/03/2023 at 6:30 pm - 8:30 pm
Infant Toddler - (ZOOM) Brownwood – 04/04/2023 at 6:30 pm - 8:30 pm
Disaster Preparedness/Serious Incident Reporting (ZOOM) - McAllen – 04/06/2023 at 6:30 pm - 8:30 pm
AWFC Medication Policy (ZOOM) -Corpus Christi – 04/10/2023 at 6:30 pm - 8:30 pm
Respite (ZOOM) - Tyler – 04/11/2023 at 6:30 pm - 8:30 pm
Foster Parent Initiative (ZOOM) - Kelsi Vines – 04/12/2023 at 9:00 am - 3:00 pm
Cyber Security/Conflict of Interest (ZOOM) Houston – 04/13/2023 at 6:30 pm - 8:30 pm
Emergency Behavior Intervention 2 (ZOOM) - Gilbert Garcia – 04/15/2023 at 9:00 am - 4:00 pm
Water Safety (ZOOM) - Victoria – 04/17/2023 at 6:30 pm - 8:30 pm
Meet the Corpus Christi Team
Meet the Corpus Christi Management Team
Kristal Quiroga – Area Director
Kristal Quiroga began her journey as Area Director with A World For Children in December of 2017. Kristal graduated in 2017 from Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi with her Master of Public Administration degree. Kristal held a case manager position for 3 years at a children’s shelter, where she then pursued her career as Case Management supervisor for a local Transitional Care Foster Care Program in Corpus Christi for 2 years.
Kristal is originally from Del Rio, Texas, and enjoys spending time with her husband, and daughter Yzabella. Kristal has been a Zumba instructor for 9 years and enjoys doing this daily to regroup herself from her daily responsibilities. Kristal is family-oriented and passionate about working with at-risk populations, the community, and making a difference in the lives of others. Along with her amazing team, Kristal looks forward to growing AWFC in Corpus Christi and continuing to serve our mission in helping children.
Gilbert Garcia – Treatment Director
Gilbert Garcia has been serving children and families for over 30 years. For the last 11 years, he has served as Treatment Director for A World For Children in Corpus Christi, El Paso, and Amarillo. He is passionate about making a difference in the lives of children and has a deep appreciation for those who open their hearts and homes to traumatized children. “All kids need a sense of belonging and know that someone cares; one of the greatest joys is knowing you made a difference in the life of a child. That is what we are all about.”