A World For Children (AWFC) is a Christian, state-licensed, non-profit, Amarillo foster care and adoption agency that provides personalized support and training for the entire family during the foster-to-adopt process. The team at A World For Children holds itself to the highest standards and is dedicated to providing vulnerable children in Amarillo with safe and nurturing environments. We do everything in our power to meet the needs of these children and ensure foster parents are equipped with the resources and support they need.
It is our mission as a foster care agency in Amarillo to serve at-risk children and families through our high-quality services focusing on prevention, support, assessment, therapeutic intervention, and permanency. A World For Children is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization that works with over 1,000 children each year to provide the lives these children deserve.
We provide consistent monitoring and evaluation of the Amarillo foster care agency processes to maintain the effectiveness and success of our services. A World For Children places respect, dignity, and excellence at the forefront of all we do.
Foster Care in Amarillo, TX
Being a foster parent in Texas is a rewarding experience for many reasons, the primary one being you get to provide a child a safe home. A World For Children can help you pursue becoming a foster parent to a child in Amarillo. We’ve outlined the steps for foster care in Amarillo for you below:
- Review qualifications. First, you must review Texas’ requirements for foster care set by the state. Additionally, keep in mind that foster care agencies in Amarillo such as A World For Children may have their own requirements applicants must meet to qualify as foster parents. You can proceed to the next step once you are sure you successfully meet all the requirements.
- Submit an application. Next, you can start filling out your application to become a foster parent. You will choose an agency you would like to work with and complete their application, then submit it for review.
- Undergo a background check. The foster care agency in Amarillo you choose will also need to run a background check on you. The background check will allow the agency to ensure you don’t have a criminal record and are a good candidate for fostering a child.
- Attend an orientation. Once you pass the background check and your application is approved, you will be invited to attend an orientation hosted by the foster care agency. Depending on the agency, this could be an online orientation or in person. At orientation, you will learn more about the foster care process and other relevant information for foster parents.
- Complete training. Next, you will need to complete a training course to become fully qualified for foster care in Amarillo. This training includes CPR and first aid in addition to any other courses in place to ensure you can properly care for a child.
- Pass a home inspection. The last step to becoming a foster parent is to pass a home inspection. A foster specialist will come to your home and inspect your living situation to ensure it is a safe environment for a child. Once this final step is completed, you will sit back and wait for a placement.
When you’re ready to submit your application, contact us or visit our Amarillo foster care agency!
Adoption in Amarillo, TX
If you are interested in adopting a child, there are two ways to complete the process. You can either choose to foster-to-adopt or go directly through the adoption process. This is your decision to make, but once you choose you will want to find a foster-to-adopt agency or an adoption agency in Amarillo. To help you understand the process more clearly, we outline the general steps below:
- Review qualifications. Just like becoming a foster parent, Texas has adoption requirements applicants must meet before starting the adoption process. Additionally, your adoption agency may have specific requirements you must meet.
- Submit an application. After you are sure you meet the requirements for both the state and the adoption agency, you can move forward with the application. You will need to fill out the agency’s application for review.
- Undergo a background check. The agency will run a background check on you after your application is received. This background check will ensure you are a suitable candidate to adopt a child. If you are approved, an adoption specialist will reach out to you with further instructions.
- Meet with a specialist. You will meet with your adoption specialist to discuss the rest of the process. An adoption specialist is there to walk you through everything and will likely schedule multiple appointments with you to ensure everything is in place for adoption.
- Pass a home inspection. Once you have gotten this far, it is time for you to undergo a home inspection. This home inspection will verify your home is safe for a child.
- Finalize adoption. Finalizing adoption is the last step. You will work with your adoption specialist to sign the final paperwork and prepare to bring your child home.
Jun 2022Med Policy Webinar – 06/07/2022 at 6:00 pm - 7:00 pm
Respite and SIR – 06/14/2022 at 5:30 pm - 7:00 pm
Disaster Training - Webinar – 06/20/2022 at 6:00 pm
Transportation Training – 06/27/2022 at 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm
Jul 2022Cultural Diversity – 07/04/2022 at 6:00 pm - 7:00 pm
Disaster Training - Webinar – 07/18/2022 at 6:00 pm
Water Safety – 07/21/2022 at 6:30 pm
Transportation Training – 07/25/2022 at 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm
Aug 2022Disaster Training - Webinar – 08/15/2022 at 6:00 pm
Water Safety – 08/18/2022 at 6:30 pm
Meet the Amarillo team!
Meet the Amarillo Management Team
Tanya Park – Area Director
Tanya Park is a panhandle native, WTAMU graduate, and passionate adoptive parent. Her experience and advocacy within the foster care system span an impressive career of over 13 years. Tanya has devoted her professional time to working with children and families who are taking their foster care journey. Starting as a Case Manager with A World for Children for the first five years of her career, Tanya moved up to the Director position and has remained in that role since 2013. Tanya’s passion for seeing children grow and heal from their trauma has motivated her to continue her work within the field: those working with her find tremendous support in her leadership and expertise. Named as WTAMU’s “Woman of the Year” in 2007, Tanya continues to blaze new trails and build stronger bridges between foster care agencies and child welfare professionals. When Tanya is not working with children, you might find her playing her bass guitar with her band or enjoying time with her two children, husband, and adorable dog.